Thursday, January 12, 2012

放鬆 - song(1) - relax

During taiji practice, master always say 放鬆, 放鬆 (to relax). 
I've never thought it is so difficult to relax. Human instinct is such that we will unconsciously tense up
in reaction to resistances and emotions.  
To relax is not to throw away (扔掉) or not to become lifeless. 

Two major area to relax is the shoulder () and the waist ().

To relax the shoulder, sink () the chi to the elbow (). Personally, I find that this is the easiest way to
relax the shoulder. Point to note is that you do not let the hand, especially the wrist and hand, go "lifeless".

To relax the waist, you have sink the hip-joint area (kua). This is tough. I've not fully gotten the feeling yet.
I tried to feel that the weight of the body flow through easily like flowing water, through the waist and to the
sole of the feet. When done correctly done, I can feel three contact points to the ground, two points from
the soles and one point from the tail-bone.

I tried to practice (放鬆) whenever I could. 
- be aware (mindful) whether my shoulder is tense or not, whether I am working on the laptop, eating, walking or even laying on the bed
- when walking or standing (waiting for transport), I'll relax my kua. When sitting down, I'll relax the
hip area and sink the weight to the tail-bone.

Easier-say-than-done
Practice, practice, practice

No comments:

Post a Comment